We spend a ton of time scouring Pinterest and the internet for the latest recipes, trends, and tips. And along the way, we’ll see the same cooking hacks popping up over and over.
So in the name of ~Pinterest science~, we wanted to test 10 of them in our own kitchens to find out if they actually worked. Here’s what we found out!
1. HACK #1: Wrap the stem of bananas in plastic wrap to make them last longer.
2. HACK #2: Add a ½ cup of oil + 2 eggs to turn any cake mix into cookie dough.
DID IT WORK?: Yup!
THE RESULTS: The cake mix made about 15 cookies, and perhaps unsurprisingly, the cookies were very cakey. I like my cookies crispy on the edges and super fudgy in the middle and these were none of that — so I didn’t even eat the whole batch. (Even after adding some sea salt on top, which complemented the chocolate well.)
So yeah, this works and if you like cakey cookies, you’ll probably like them. But these did not rock my world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ —Marie Telling
3. HACK #3: Place a wooden spoon over a pasta pot to keep it from boiling over.
4. HACK #4: Prevent avocados from browning with lemon juice or cooking spray.
DID IT WORK? Meh. Not really.
THE RESULTS: The lemon seemed to make things worse, TBH. And the cooking spray on its own also didn’t look like a huge success. The only one that worked slightly better was the cooking spray + Ziploc bag combo — but even that still browned quite a bit and the difference with the avocado half that was left alone wasn’t that striking. We’ll keep looking for that elusive perfect avocado preservation trick! —M.T.
5. HACK #5: Make the world’s easiest cake with boxed mix + soda.
6. HACK #6: Add cornstarch to scrambled eggs to make them creamier.
7. HACK #7: Store greens with paper towels to make them last longer.
8. HACK #8: Rub butter to the cut side of a slice of cheese to keep it from drying out.
9. HACK #9: Add vodka to a piecrust to make it flakier.
To really see if this pie dough was flakier than others, I also decided to bake a test pie using this recipe. It had ingredients and proportions very close to the one from America’s Test Kitchen — but it only used water, instead of a water-vodka combo.
10. HACK #10: Add mayo to cake batter to make it even better.